Clean Air Strategy
A lot of misleading information about wood burning stoves has been released by the media giving the public the impression that wood burning stove will be banned. This is simply NOT TRUE.
The government have identified numerous areas that require improvement to reduce the harmful emissions being put into the atmosphere and wood burning stoves form a small proportion of the overall picture.
Modern wood burning stoves are generally very efficient, particularly those that are DEFRA approved and with the improvements being made to meet the new air regulations from 2022 all stoves sold in the UK will be even more environmentally friendly.
Key Points Regarding The Legislation:
- Wood burning and multi fuel stoves will not be banned
- From 2022 all new stoves sold must be Ecodesign compliant.
- You do not have to purchase an Ecodesign Ready stove yet but many are available and if you wish to be ahead of the game then purchasing one now will be helping the environment.
- The legislation is not retrospective and will not affect your existing stove installation. It is important however to help the environment by burning good quality dry seasoned wood with less than 20% moisture to reduce the amount of harmful emissions given out by your older stove.
- From 2022 open fires and non compliant stoves will no longer be able to be sold in the UK.